11/24/09

Parent Teacher Conference

Yesterday was our day to meet with the boys teacher and their new teachers starting after Christmas break. Well, Lawrence lucked out with having practice b/c of their short week so I had to go alone. So much has been going on with the boys at school and things we don't like so I wasn't quite sure if I would scream or cry but luckily none of the above occurred. Here is what was said about each boy.


Caleb:


He loves the painting easel which is always his first activity in the morning.
He's very social (wonder where he gets that) and likes to suggest to all his classmates how things should be done (aka bossy).
He's willing to try every food during food tasting which takes place 3 times a week.
His potty training is coming along very well and hopefully will be fully out of diapers soon (at least by March so he can go to ski school in Vail).
Favorite activity besides the easel is music class.
He does not like when you attempt to help him when he hasn't asked for help.
He does not like anyone in his personal space (I'm starting to think he's a lot like his mommy).
Most importantly he can say 3+ complete sentences in a row. To put that in perspective, most 4 year old are just starting to do that. Now that means full sentences which consist of more than 4 words in each. He's definitely our little talker.

Jaden:


He loves to string beads and work with the cylinder puzzles (it's a Montessori thing)
He likes to participate in all group activities and loves doing art projects.
He sits very nicely and for long periods of time in the "library" reading books.
He's very social and likes to play running games with his friends on the playground.
He likes setting the table and cleaning up when he's done eating.
He isn't as open during food tasting but tries most things.
If he's in a mood he does not like to be messed with or asked to participate (maybe they are both like mommy)
Potty training is so/so. I'm not pushing the issue with him b/c he will do it when he wants. As long as it's by March:)
He can 2 sentences in a row which is right on track for 2 year olds:)



Both boys love music class, outdoor exploring and all practical life activities. Each day the boys knock on their classroom door and hand their teacher their daily mail and shake her hand and say good morning. Some days she gets air mail from Jaden. During lunch each boy sets their own spot at the table with a place mat, bowl, plate, fork, spoon and cup. They pour their own drink from a pitcher into their cup all by themselves. When they are finished eating each takes their plates and bowls to the trash to scrape off their leftover food then puts them in the sink. I wouldn't believe it unless I had seen it with my own eyes!! It's amazing what a Montessori can teach your children.

In Montessori they are not taught the alphabet in terms of A,B,C... They are taught that alphabet by the sound each letter makes. Both boys can say every sounds properly and know all their vowels. Caleb likes to ramble off aeiou all the time. They can count to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish. They recognize and can name just about everything anywhere we go. It's funny with they use "big words." Yesterday Jaden walked up to me when I was decorating the Christmas tree and said "mommy, is that your special box?" It was so cute b/c I hadn't called it my special box. He just knew b/c he wasn't allowed to touch the ornaments it must be special. Then last week while we were eating dinner Caleb looked up and said "this pasta is delicious." Lawrence and I were dying laughing. He's the king of big words. He likes to say "that's awesome" too.

Anyway, the boys will be separated the beginning of the year which I think will be wonderful. They fight with each other all the time and I don't blame them. If I had to spend 24/7 with one of my siblings I would go crazy too!! (No offense to any of my siblings). Both have awesome new teachers but they will definitely miss Mrs. Shepard.

I almost forgot, both are obsessed with Christmas. They want the tree lights turned on every morning when they get up and they talk about Santa and snowman all the time. We watch Christmas Dora twice a day. We also have Elf on a Shelf and Caleb watches him out of the corner of his eye when he's being bad b/c I told him that the elf will put him on the naughty list like Swiper from Dora. They like to touch the ornaments but get in trouble each time. Jaden broke a Santa bulb yesterday. He was screaming "oh no, I break Santa mommy. Get the vacuum."

They better behave b/c I have already bought way too many things to give them from Santa.

1 comment:

Molly said...

We love the Elf on the Shelf, we got it a few years ago and it is great!! Kayden really behaves when the Elf is around! Your boys are growing up so quickly, they are so adorable!! I love the updates.